Summary of Governor's REDC Awards
On December 11, Governor Cuomo announced the 2013 REDC project awards. A total of $715.9 million was awarded to the 10 regional councils for 824 projects. A large amount of funding, $310 m. in total, was spread across the 10 regions for yet to be awarded Industrial Development Bond Cap for tax exempt bonds for state and local projects.This year's awards did not include many transportation infrastructure projects as there were no direct transportation program funds in the revenue sources available for use by the Councils. The few transportation projects awarded were largely urban street or corridor studies, trails projects and several airport improvements and freight projects. These projects were funded largely from NYS Parks, NYSERDA and ESD program sources. There were also a number of comprehensive planning and zoning study projects awarded.Transit related project awards included:
- Western NY - $1.0 m. for a Transit Hub project in Buffalo as part of the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus development.
- Mohawk Valley - $300,000 to Oneida County for Utica Union Station improvements.
- North Country - $41,000 to Bombardier Mass Transit Corp. for worker training at the Plattsburgh Bombardier plant.
- Mid-Hudson - $1.0 m. to City of White Plains for planning and design of a Transit Hub.
- NYC - $2.14 m. to NYCDOT for Bus Rapid Transit in Queens; and, $50,000 for the West Shore Light Rail Study on Staten Island.
- Long Island - $500,000 to Nassau County for study of a shared use parking structure at the Nassau Hub; and,
- $1.5 m. to Suffolk County for Bus Rapid Transit.